You Make The Call Number One

Here are a couple of postcards that have recently been listed on eBay. I have the one marked 'Trolley Bridge Herkimer...', but I don't have the Frankfort shot. I've always meant to pick this card up, but have never gotten around to it. I've only recently noticed something about these cards that I never noticed before. How about you? Take a look and let me know what you think...





This is certainly the former trolley bridge of the Utica and Mohawk Valley Railway that connected Little Falls and Herkimer, New York. In later years it became part of The New York State Railways connecting Little Falls, NY with Rochester, NY. A nice ride up Route 5 West will give you this view due to some of the stone arches remaining. Prior to 1940, the New York Central Chicago Line ran under this structure on it's way to Utica.  After 1940, the line was re-located just South of here and the 4-track main was replaced with a new State Highway, Route 5.





Now, the Utica and Mohawk Valley Railway did go from Little Falls to Herkimer, Mohawk and then Frankfort, but where is THIS location?

Leave a comment below!

Comments

  1. Nice pix, Gino. I always wondered what those arches were for. Now I know.
    I don't know what it is you see in the pictures which you never noticed.
    The location, of course, is over West Canada creek, just east of Herkimer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just being silly Burr! It is obviously the Canada Creek Trestle at Herkimer, yet the bottom card lists the location as 'Frankfort, NY.' So, people were mistaking locations since the early days of postcards as well as the internet of today. I was just looking for someone to point this out! When I first got this card, I wondered where the heck in Frankfort it could be. A big stone structure like that would have to leave something behind. Not until I put the two cards together did I realize the mistake.

      Delete
  2. A little slow here. The second post-card mis-identifies the scene as Frankfort, NY. Which is a couple of miles west of this location, on the opposite side of the Mohawk River.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts